This section is for online viewable collections of historical maps. This section includes both antique maps and modern maps showing historical boundaries. Historical Maps Reference.
History (from Greek ἱστορία, historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation") is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: History is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. Events occurring before written record are considered prehistory. It is an umbrella term that relates to past events as well as the memory, discovery, collection, organization, presentation, and interpretation of information about these events. Scholars who write about history are called historians. History can also refer to the academic discipline which uses a narrative to examine and analyse a sequence of past events, and objectively determine the patterns of cause and effect that determine them. Historians sometimes debate the nature of history and its usefulness by discussing the study of the discipline as an end in itself and as a way of providing "perspective" on the problems of the present.
- History Category
- Auxiliary sciences of history - Auxiliary sciences of history are scholarly disciplines which help evaluate and use historical sources and are seen as auxiliary for historical research.
- Archival research - Archival research is a type of primary research which involves seeking out and extracting evidence from original archival records.
- Bibliography - Bibliography, as a discipline, is traditionally the academic study of books as physical, cultural objects; in this sense, it is also known as bibliology.
- Computational history - Computational history is a multidisciplinary field that studies history through machine learning and other data-driven, computational approaches.
- Popular history - Popular history is a broad and somewhat ill-defined genre of historiography that takes a popular approach, aims at a wide readership, and usually emphasizes narrative, personality and vivid detail over scholarly analysis.
- Historiography of Argentina - The Historiography of Argentina is composed of the works of the authors that have written about the History of Argentina. The first historiographical works are usually considered to be those by Bartolom Mitre and other authors from the middle 19th century.
- David Rumsey Collection www
Thousands of high-resolution digital images of maps from the David Rumsey Collection, Rumsey Collection, one of the largest private collections of historic maps in the US. Focus is 18th and 19th c. North and South America cartographic materials.
- FEEFHS Map Library www
50 detailed maps of Germany, Map Library, Austria-Hungary, Russia, the Balkans, and the Baltics from the 1882 Blackie and Sons atlas. Federation of East European Family History Societies. FEEFHS Map Library.
- Large Historical Atlas of the 20th Century www
Large collection of color-coded atlas maps showing world population, Atlas of the 20th Century, governments, wars, and other historical trends. Many include brief historical commentaries. Historical Atlas of the 20th Century.
- Large United States 1895 Atlas www
Large images grouped by state from an 1895 US Atlas. United States 1895 Atlas.
- On-line Turkey in Maps www
On-line exhibitions of antique maps of Turkish Empire and Asia Minor (present day Turkey). Turkey in Maps.
- Online United States Digital Map Library www
Online archive of state, States Digital Map Library, county, and treaty maps. United States Digital Map Library.
- Macedonia F.Y.R. Macedonia from Antiquity to Present Day www
Macedonia from 1477 to 1928. Macedonia from Antiquity to Present Day. Downloadable. F.Y.R. Macedonia from Antiquity to Present Day.
- 16th Ryhiner Map Collection www
16th to 18th c. Map Collection. maps of Germany, Switzerland, and France from the University and Canton archives from the University of Bern in Switzerland. Ryhiner Map Collection.
- Includes Exploring Florida www
Includes hundreds of Florida maps and detail views from 1584 to the present. Exploring Florida.
- Socio- Mapping History Project www
Socio- and political maps of 18th and 19th century United States; classical age Mediterranean. History Project. Some maps require Shockwave plug-in. Mapping History Project.
- World Trenches on the Web - WWI Map Room www
World War I Western Front maps, the Web - WWI Map Room, including trench locations for major battles. Trenches on the Web - WWI Map Room.
- Wyoming Wyoming Historical Maps www
Wyoming state maps depicting the emigrant trails of the late 1800s. Historical Maps. Eleven maps prepared by L. C. Bishop available in small to large resolutions. Wyoming Historical Maps.
- Maps Periodical Historical Atlas of Europe www
Maps showing political status of Europe and Mediterranean basin at the end of each century from AD 1 to AD 2000, Historical Atlas of Europe, plus maps of historical battle sites. Site in English and French. Periodical Historical Atlas of Europe.
- Antique Antique Maps of the Pacific Ocean www
Antique maps (pre-1800) for the Pacific Ocean and its islands. Antique Maps of the Pacific Ocean.
- A Map Reference www
A Web bibliography of non-printed reference material on the history of maps and cartography. Map Reference.
- Maps Prehistoric Globalization www
Maps that change history. Globalization. Paper on maps predating Columbus including a section on fraudulent maps. Prehistoric Globalization.
- Searchable United States Library of Congress Map Collections www
Searchable collection of digitized maps in the public domain from North America, States Library of Congress Map Collections, 1544-1996. Grouped into categories: cities, environment, exploration, immigration, military, and transportation. United States Library of Congress Map Collections.
- National Canada at Scale: Maps of our History www
National Archives of Canada online exhibition with large collection of digital maps and historical explanation. Scale: Maps of our History. 16th to 19th century maps of Canada and North America. Canada at Scale: Maps of our History.
- Sample Bodleian Library - The Map Case www
Sample of images from Oxford's collection, Library - The Map Case, focusing on Great Britain. Bodleian Library - The Map Case.
- Period University of Virginia: Maps from Columbus to Lewis and Clark www
Period maps and atlases from 1507 to 1805 focusing on the exploration of the central and western US. University of Virginia: Maps from Columbus to Lewis and Clark.
- Yale University Map Collection www
200 period maps and globes from 16th to 19th c. University Map Collection., including world, continent, and city maps. Majority of maps are New World. Includes Lada-Mocarski, Cross, and Lanman map collections. Yale University Map Collection.
- A Images of Early Maps on the Web www
A list of sites with historical maps. Images of Early Maps on the Web.
- Maps Roman Maps : Tacitus www
Maps of areas referred to by Cornelius Tacitus in "The Histories", Maps : Tacitus, A.D. 1. Roman Maps : Tacitus.
- San Jose State University Art of Cartography www
20 maps of the New World, Jose State University Art of Cartography, India, Africa, and Asia from 16th and 17th century. Includes 2 11th century Arabic maps. San Jose State University Art of Cartography.
- University Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection www
University of Texas-Austin Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection. Library Map Collection. 200+ links to other map collections; emphasis on 19th century America maps. Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection.
- Collection History Link 101 Map Page www
Collection of historical and educational maps of ancient Africa, Link 101 Map Page, China, Egypt, Greece, Mesopotamia, Rome, Middle Ages and Prehistoric Man. History Link 101 Map Page.
- Great Genmaps www
Great Britain maps, Genmaps, 16th through 19th century, divided into counties and regions. Genmaps.
- Historical US Historical Topographic Maps www
Historical topographic maps of US East Coast states from 19th and early 20th century, Historical Topographic Maps, scanned from original US Geological Survey maps US Historical Topographic Maps.
- Western Diego Gutierrez Map of America, 1562 www
Western Hemisphere map; historical information with scrolling and zooming map viewer. Diego Gutierrez Map of America, 1562.
- Celestial Atlas Coelestis www
Celestial cartography maps. Atlas Coelestis.
- On-line MapForum.com www
On-line magazine about antique maps with articles about mapmaking, MapForum.com, exhibits, and classified ads. MapForum.com.
- Aerial King County: Comparative Aerial Photos www
Aerial photographs from the 1930s, County: Comparative Aerial Photos, 1970s, and 1990s illustrating the growth of several areas in King County, Washington. King County: Comparative Aerial Photos.
- Online Japanese Historical Maps from UC Berkeley www
Online gallery of 2, Historical Maps from UC Berkeley,300 early maps of Japan and the World. Collection was acquired by the University of California from the Mitsui family in 1949. Japanese Historical Maps from UC Berkeley.
- Maps Germany at the End of the 18th Century www
Maps of different parts of Germany at the end of the 18th century drawn by the author and links to maps of the same period show the political division of Germany Germany at the End of the 18th Century.
- A John Snow's London, 1859 www
A historical map with sites of Victorian London during the time of Dr. Snow's London, 1859. John Snow (1813-58), the prominent epidemiologist and anesthesiologist. John Snow's London, 1859.
- U.S. National Atlas of the United States www
U. Atlas of the United States.S. government map portal providing access to many government branches including USGS, Census, U.S. Forest Service, NOAA, National Park Service and others. National Atlas of the United States.
- Look Fallingrain Global Gazetteer www
Look up countries, Global Gazetteer, cities, and airports and obtain topographic maps, weather data, and selected satellite imagery. Fallingrain Global Gazetteer.
- Alexa: Historical Maps
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Historical Maps
- DMOZ: Historical Maps
dmoz.org Directory: Historical Maps